Benefits to a more Alkaline Diet
Lately I'm talking a lot about stressors on the body. Stressors are anything that conflicts with the natural running of your systems and may trigger a stress response. This may include:
- environmental stressors (elevated sound levels, over-illumination, overcrowding)
- daily stress events (e.g., traffic, lost keys, quality and quantity of physical activity)
- life changes (e.g., divorce, bereavement)
- workplace stressors (e.g., high job demand vs. low job control, repeated or sustained exertions, forceful exertions, extreme postures)
- chemical stressors (e.g., tobacco, alcohol, drugs )
- social stressor (e.g., societal and family demands)
Other examples of stressors relevant to nutrition would be things like Gluten and Casein proteins, chemicals like artificial sweeteners or sodium fluoride in the water and another would be if your body is too acidic.
A neutral PH is 7. Less than that is acidic and over 7 is alkaline. Your body is always fighting to keep its PH slightly alkaline (7.365). It does so by taking calcium out of the stores in your bones to try and neutralise the acidity.
This isn't a good thing especially for Irish Females who have the highest rate of osteoporosis (weak bones) in the EU. Add this with lack of sunlight and never putting your bones under stress (weight lifting) and you’re just asking for trouble.
We commonly develop acidity through food and drink. Processed and Refined foods or things like fizzy drinks and beer is going to cause acidity but all foods will either have an acidic or alkaline effect in the body.
Use this chart as a rough guide to choosing more alkaline foods.
So why do we need to reduce acidity in our bodies?
Here are some of the benefits to reducing the stress on the body with a high alkaline diet.
- Skin more elastic, youthful
- Deeper and more restful sleep
- Abundant physical energy
- Suffer from fewer colds and headaches
- Better digestion
- Decreased risk of arthritis
- Reduction of yeast overgrowth
- Won’t support Osteoporosis
- Increased mental acuity, mental alertness
- Legal natural high
Along with using the chart above you can also increase alkalinity by drinking lemon teas or taking a spoon of baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) daily in water or if that doesn't sound too appealing we sell alkalising salts in the gym which consist of Sodium and Potassium Bicarbonate as well as Calcium and Magnesium Carbonate.
So how do you know your bodies PH? There are simple urine strips you can pick up in pharmacies or buy a more accurate digital PH tester online. Also some signs and symptoms of an acidic body would be:
- Excess stomach acid
- Acid reflux
- Saliva acidic
- Nails are thin and break easily
- Dry skin
- Cracks at the corners of the lips
- Hair is dull with split ends, and falls out
- Very pale face
- Loose teeth
- Teeth sensitive to hot, cold, or acidic foods
- Teeth have a tendency to crack or chip
- Sensitive gums
- Mouth ulcers
- Infections in throat and tonsils
- Tooth nerve pain
- Low body temperature (feels cold)
- Tendency to get infections
- Leg cramps and spasms
- Eyes tear easily, conjunctivitis, inflammation of the eyelids and corneas
- Low energy; constant fatigue
- Being continually depressed with a loss of joy and enthusiasm
- Excessive nervousness
Will alkalinity work wonders on your body? Somewhat but remember its never just one thing. You need to be implementing all of the information I give you.
If you’re new to the blog make sure you check out the previous ones HERE. Not all of it is for everyone but you may find just the thing for you.
Until next week,
Love and Happiness,